AARP members can save money with a number of phone carriers such as Consumer Cellular, and AT&T to provide discounts on cell phone plans, accessories of cell phone deals for only qualified members.
In the US, several providers offer discounts solely based on age, with eligibility starting anywhere from the ages of 55 to 65. However, some discounts are exclusive to those with AARP membership. Anyone over 50 can join AARP for $16 per year and gain access to deals on things like travel, dining, entertainment, and apparel. Providers offering exclusive AARP discounts include AT&T, Cricket Wireless, and Consumer Cellular.
AARP members are entitled to many benefits such as insurance discounts, car rental discounts; cell phone plans discounts, hotel discounts, among many others. Such discounts help to cushion the elderly since they do not have much energy to work and earn sufficient income.
AARP benefits are there to cushion the American citizens from heavy monthly bills on data plans, voice calls, and texts. Looking at the discussed plans, you can make an informed decision on which plan to subscribe to.
What Is AARP?
AARP is a large non-profit organization that offers a wide range of benefits to its 38 million members. AARP was originally founded to help retired teachers who needed help with health insurance, and now promotes a focus on the quality of life at all ages, while advocating for positive social change.
Not AARP Member? Check Out Best Cell Phone Plans for Seniors
Consumer Cellular AARP Discounts
AARP Members save 5% on monthly service and usage charges and 30% on select accessories. Plans start at $15 per month, require no contract, and include free activation, and an extended money-back guarantee.
There are multiple options when it comes to packages, but the company states that with the discount, you can get “An average bill under $25 a month for all the talk, text, and data our customers need.”
AT&T Wireless AARP Discounts
AARP Members save 10% on the monthly service charge of qualified wireless plans, 15% on select accessories, and up to $45 on activation and upgrade fees. Show your AARP membership card at an AT&T retail store or authorized retailer to get these savings.
That discount would reduce the price of AT&T’s cheapest unlimited data plan to $63 per month for one line, $112.50 per month for two lines instead of $70, and $125 per month for regular subscribers. This plan includes extras like access to 30+ channels of live TV and free-roaming in Mexico and Canada.
Not an AARP member?
You can join AARP using one of two methods to sign up:
Online: You’ll receive an AARP card in the mail, which might take three to four weeks. If you prefer, you can print your AARP membership card directly from your online account.
By phone: If you’d rather talk to a person, you can call AARP: 888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277).
In case you are not qualified, here is the most affordable carrier that offers the best cell phone plans for seniors over 50, 55, 60, and 65.
Tello Mobile – Most Affordable Carrier in the US
Tello is the best alternative for AARP cell phone plan discounts. Tello is one of the most affordable cell phone carriers in the US with flexible plans. Tello, allows you to truly customize your plan to meet your needs. Being able to choose how many minutes, texts, and data you need are sure to please your lifestyle and your wallet.
For a basic user plan that includes unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 1GB of data, you’ll pay $10 on Tello. The service allows tethering at no extra charge, and it also offers free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China in addition to the U.S.
If you decide to keep your phone all you need to do is to enter your device ID which is an IMEI to check if your phone is compatible with their network and then you can select a sim card which cost $10, then you will be brought to order status page where you can see your work is done and Tello has an application so you can manage your account from your mobile device.
- Tello (Basic Plan): $8/month for unlimited talk and text. with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
- Tello (1GB): $10/month for unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of 4G LTE data with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
- Tello (2GB): $14/month for unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of 4G LTE data with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
- Tello (4GB): $19/month for unlimited talk, text, and 4GB of 4G LTE data with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
- Tello (6GB): $24/month for unlimited talk, text and 6GB of 4G LTE data with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
- Tello (8GB): $29/month for unlimited talk, text and 8GB of 4G LTE data with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
- Tello (Unlimited): $39/month for unlimited talk, text and unlimited 4G LTE data with free calls to Canada, Mexico, and China, plus mobile hotspot access.
Here are a few amazing facts about Tello Mobile:
- Fully customizable plans, including Data Only plans for Tablets
- Customers can upgrade or downgrade plans for free, anytime.
- No contract, no overage fee, no administration fee, no activation fee and not even port-out fees.
- Customers can bring their own devices.
- All plans include free tethering (hotspot)
- Services are available nationwide in the USA.
- Calls from the USA to Canada, China and Mexico are included in all voice plans, at the same rate as domestic calls.
- Tello Apps are available for Android and iOS devices, allowing in-app outbound WIFI calling and easy account management
More Affordable Cell Phone Plans for Seniors:
- Xfinity Mobile (1GB): 12/month for unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of 4G LTE data, along with 18 million Wi-Fi hotspots access. ($12 per additional GB)
- Twigby (1GB): 14.25/month for unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of 4G LTE data with free international talk and text.
- Mint Mobile (3GB): $15/month for unlimited talk, text, and 3GB of 4G LTE data for three months (price upfront is $45/month).
- TextNow (5GB): 29.99/month for unlimited talk, text and 5GB of 4G LTE data
- Xfinity Mobile (3GB): 30/month for unlimited talk, text, and 3GB of 4G LTE data, along with 18 million Wi-Fi hotspots access. ($12 per additional GB)
- Twigby (3GB): 21/month for unlimited talk, text, and 3GB of 4G LTE data with free international talk and text.
- Red Pocket (7GB): $30/month for unlimited talk, text, and 7GB of 4G LTE data, then at 2G.
Assuming you’re at least 50 years old, it’s easy to sign up online, and members are entitled to host of other discounts.
You will have access to endless benefits, discounts, and resources. You can become a member if you are 50-years-old and over, whether you’re working or retired, and with its reasonable membership fee, it is definitely worth checking out.
Keep in mind that if you’re over age 65, you can get senior discounts at a variety of places just by asking. But why wait till 65? By joining an organization such as AARP, you could start saving money now.