Best Cell Phone Plans For Seniors 2019
There’s no one perfect cell phone service option that fits everybody, and senior cell phone plans are no different. below there’re the best cell phone plans for seniors for 2019
Whether you’re in your golden years or have a loved one who is, no doubt you’ve found your way here because you’re trying to figure out exactly which device and plan will work best for the mature person’s specific needs. Consider this: 78% of adults ages 65 and over are cell phone owners, so it’s a decision we’re all bound to face!
Don’t worry – there are plenty of senior mobile options ranging from ultra-basic to the most advanced. Maybe you want the latest smartphone, or just a pay-as-you-go phone with a simple call plan so you can get help quickly in emergencies.
The bottom line is that the best cell phone plans for seniors come in all shapes, sizes, and budgets. In the following guide, I’ll outline the range of available options and where to get them.
Not all senior citizens are interested in just a basic phone. A higher tech option gives seniors access to emergency help as well as a way to keep up with news and more without the expense of cable TV.
If you or your elderly relative are more about technology than the average senior, there are some affordable options for you as well.
The 8 Best Cell Phone Plans for Seniors of 2019
Almost all prices are susceptible to change so please check the service plan website for current information details.
Tello is a prepaid carrier which provides coverage using Sprint’s network. Their plans are based on the idea of building your own calling, texting and data plan that fits your specific needs and budget. They call it, “Build Your Own Plan”. Users can bring their own phone to the service if it is compatible, and that compatibility can be tested here. or purchase a new one from Tello.
- $11/mo: unlimited talk, texts including calls to Canada, Mexico, and China.
- $14/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 1 GB data including calls to Canada, Mexico, and China.
- $19/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 2 GB data including calls to Canada, Mexico, and China.
- $24/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 3 GB data including calls to Canada, Mexico, and China.
- $39/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 10 GB data including calls to Canada, Mexico, and China.
More Details: Visit Tello website
Twigby gives its customers the ability to build their own phone plans. Subscribers first choose how many minutes they want their plan to have, then if desired, they can choose to add a data package to their plan.
All voice plans come with unlimited domestic and international texting. All data plans include unlimited 2G data once the high-speed allotment gets used up.
Twigby is giving its new customers 25% off on their first 6 months of service. With this 25% off promotion in place, you can get big savings on your phone plan.
Note: Limited time offer: Get 25% off your first 6 mos of service!
- $9.75/mo: unlimited talk and texts
- $14.25/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 1 GB data
- $17.25/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 2 GB data
- $21.00/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 3 GB data
- $24.75/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 5 GB data
- $32.25/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 10 GB data
More Details: Visit Twigby website
Republic Wireless, which sports some incredibly affordable plans, operates on a unique concept called Adaptive Coverage™. What it means is that your service switches between WiFi and cellular depending upon whether WiFi is available.
Due to this technology, Republic Wireless is able to offer some of the cheapest cell phone plans for seniors on the market. Rates start at $15 per month for unlimited talk and text, plus data while on WiFi, and go up to $60 with 6 GB of cell data included. You can bring your own compatible phone, or buy one from Republic starting at about $180.
- $15/mo: unlimited talk and texts
- $20/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 1GB data
- $25/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 2GB data
- $30/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 3GB data
- $65/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 10GB data
More Details: Visit Republic website
Most wireless service providers require you to pay your bill month-to-month, but Mint Mobile takes a different approach by charging you upfront for three, six, or 12 months of service at a time. It’s a unique concept and one that requires a bigger check from the get-go but could result in some big savings over time.
All Mint Mobile plans come with unlimited talk and text, and depending on the one you choose, you’ve got your choice of 2GB, 5GB, or 10GB of 4G LTE data. If you decide you need additional LTE speeds during a month, you can get an extra 1GB for $10 or 3GB for $20. Oh, and mobile hotspot is included no matter what plan you get.
Mint Mobile is powered by T-Mobile’s network, and as such, you can bring over virtually any unlocked GSM phone.
If the service sounds like something you’d be interested in, you can test-drive it for seven days with a money-back guarantee.
- $15/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 2 GB data. Total: ($45 per 3 months)
- $20/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 5 GB data. Total: ($60 per 3 months)
- $25/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 10 GB data. Total: ($75 per 3 months)
More Details: Visit Mint Mobile website
US Mobile runs on T-Mobile’s network and has more than 300 different plans to choose from. Simply pick the talk, text, and data you need and enjoy an average phone bill of less than $20/month. All customers also get a free VPN service, which enables you to be online in privacy.
US Mobile offers a personal dashboard where you get a full overview of your usage, which makes it easy to customize your plan to your actual needs. You can upgrade and downgrade your base plan every month and top up talk, text, and data during a month without surcharges. The top-up also rolls over to the next month if it’s unused. US Mobile is contract-free and allows you to snooze your phone plan while still getting to keep your number. You can bring your phone or buy a new one in the US Mobile’s shop. US Mobile doesn’t have activation fees.
- $10/mo: unlimited talk and texts
- $23/mo: 1000 minutes,1000 texts, and 1GB data
- $25/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and 5GB data
- $40/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and data (Speed Limited To 1 Mbps)
- $45/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and data (Speed Limited To 5 Mbps)
- $55/mo: unlimited talk, texts, and data (No Speed caps)
More Details: Visit US Mobile website
GreatCall offers you 200 minutes for $14.99, but you will have to pay extra for data and texts. So, it will make a perfect cell phone plan for seniors who use their mobile phones to phone more often than text or user data.
GreatCall is designed for seniors, which is why they have services such as their “The health and safety services,” which is a service that puts seniors in contact with the emergency services and doctors/consultant at the push of a button. These services, and others like it, are available as add-ons to this basic cell phone plan.
There are no annual contract or cancellation fees with this monthly plan. You can buy more minutes if you wish, such as by upgrading your plan. For example, you can get 600 minutes for $19.99, you can get 1500 minutes for $29.99, and you can get 3000 minutes for $39.99.
- $50 plan includes unlimited talk and text.
- $40 plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data if it’s paired with Health & Safety Packages.
Minutes Plans are:
- $14.99 plan includes 50 minutes now includes 200 minutes if added individually or 250 minutes if it’s paired with Health & Safety Packages
- $19.99 plan includes 400 minutes now includes 600 minutes if added individually or 800 minutes if it’s paired with Health & Safety Packages
- $29.99 plan includes 800 minutes now includes 1500 minutes if added individually or 2000 minutes with Health & Safety Packages
- $39.99 plan includes 1500 minutes now includes 3000 minutes if added individually or 3500 minutes with Health & Safety Packages
Text allotments are:
- $3 adds 300 texts per month
- $6 adds 700 texts per month
- $10 adds 1250 texts per month
- $15 adds 2500 texts per month
Data plans are:
- $2.49 adds 40 MB of data per month
- $5.00 adds 100 MB of data per month
- $10.00 adds 200 MB of data per month
- $15.00 adds 500 MB of data per month
- $20.00 adds 1 GB of data per month
- $30.00 adds 2.5 GB of data per month
More Details: Visit Greatcall website
Pay-as-You-Go Phone Plans For Seniors
One of the easiest ways to keep mobile service costs under control is with prepaid phone service or a pay-as-you-go phone plan. This option is ideal for the low-use elderly person who simply needs a way to communicate with family and friends as well as call for help in an emergency. The major carriers offer solid pay-as-you-go options that are ideal for older adults.
If you use your phone to talk for longer periods of time, AT&T’s GoPhone Daily plans are a great choice for you. You pay $2 a day, but only on the days, you use your phone. On days that you use your device, you’ll enjoy unlimited talk time as well as text, picture, and video messages. Not only do you get unlimited text messages within the U.S. but to over 100 countries worldwide as well.
As far as devices, you can use your own compatible device by purchasing a prepaid SIM card for about $5. Or you can buy a phone from AT&T, starting under $20. There is a flip phone option for those who prefer not to use a touchscreen, and there are no activation fees. If you want internet access on your phone you can purchase data separately for $1 per 100 MB.
- $2/day — Unlimited talk and text
More Details: Visit AT&T website
When it comes to the cheapest pay-as-you-go phone plans for seniors, T-Mobile is at the top of the list. For $3 per month, you get 30 minutes to use as you please, in the form of talk or text messages. This is a great way to avoid overage charges. You can bring your own device, or choose from a selection of phones starting at $40.
If you end up needing more minutes than you planned, no problem. Buy additional texts or talk minutes for .10 each. If you’re a smartphone user, you can prepay phone data as well. The only downside is that if you want a flip phone, as many seniors do, you’ll need to purchase that somewhere else as T-Mobile does not offer them.
- $3/day — 30 minutes of calls and texts in any combination
More Details: Visit T-Mobile website
Key Considerations When Choosing a Senior Phone Plan
Now: let’s get down to the basics – what factors are most important when choosing a mobile phone plan for an older individual?
- Price: According to the NCOA (National Council on Aging), a third of senior households have no expendable income left at the end of the month, or are even further in debt. For many senior citizens, finding the cheapest cell phone plan is crucial. Later in this guide, I will detail various low-cost cell phone plans for seniors, and even how you may be able to get a free phone.
- Purpose: One of the main concerns of many older Americans and their families is that they need access to help if something should happen, such as a fall. On the other hand, some seniors use their cell phones to keep up with news and email. The level of service you need will depend on the range of tasks you perform with your phone.
- Device: Even the best senior phone plans aren’t helpful if you or your loved one doesn’t have the right device. Features to look for include a bright, easy to read display, a voice command option, a senior-friendly keyboard, and emergency number presets. You may also want to consider a phone with a one-touch SOS button so that it’s even easier and faster to call for assistance.
A mobile phone is a personalized choice at any age. Use these tips as a guideline to choose the right one for you or your family member.